Green smoothies are fibre-rich, thick drinks that normally contain the following ingredients and variations thereof:
- Some sort of filler: banana, mango, coconut, dairy-free yogurt
- A few superfoods: maca, lucuma, mesquite, spirulina, chlorella
- Greens: kale, spinach, broccoli, lettuce, celery, cucumber, etc
- Nuts or seeds: cashews, macadamias, almonds, brazil nuts, hemp seeds, etc
- A sweetener: raw honey, bananas, dates
The following is one of my favourite green smoothie recipes:
Thai Green Coconut Smoothie
- 1 C coconut milk or fresh almond milk
- ¼ C cashews
- 1 medium pineapple, frozen
- 1 C kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 dates, pitted
- 1 T coriander leaves, fresh
- 1 C ice
- Pinch salt (to balance the flavours)
Place all of the ingredients together in a blender and blend until smooth.
Lasts up to 2 days in the fridge. Freezes well.
Hint: add ice towards the end for a bit of crunch.