A substantial number of Cape producers continue to lead the way globally, actively conserving part of their land and minimising their agricultural footprint while making enjoyable – and often impressive wines. The organic route is part of this choice and forms a category in the Nedbank Green Wine Awards. Other categories include the Integrated Production of Wine (IPW) guidelines and the Best Farming Practices which assesses and rewards those who are responding to environmental challenges in meaningful and successful ways.
Since its inception in 2009, the main thrust of the Nedbank Green Wine Awards has been to reward and elevate the quality of wines made from organically grown grapes, honouring those wine producers that put our wellbeing and the wellbeing of the planet first. A total of 150 wines were judged across two categories (Best wines made from Organically Grown Grapes and Best Wines from Integrated Production of Wine category), the panel led by internationally renowned wine judge Fiona McDonald.
Aside from the wines, the Best Farming Practice category remains a key part of the competition and continues to promote sustainable farming and conservation of the Cape winelands.This year saw a change to the award of Best Farming Practice to a nominated award. The award for Best Farming Practice was bestowed upon a farm that has been voted as the winner by their fellow peers, through a nomination and motivation process.
Fifteen top achievers were announced at this year’s awards function held on the 15th October in Cape Town (*see winners list below). Org De Rac La Verne MCC 2012 took top honours in the Best Wine Overall in the Made from Organically Grown Grapes category (the wine was also the Bloggers’ Choice Award). Sijnn White 2013 scooped the Best Integrated Production of Wine Overall (the wine was also the IPW Best White). Wildekrans was named the Best Farming Practices Overall Winner.
The full results and a competition overview are available in South Africa’s Green Wine Guide 2015, bagged with the November issue of Getaway, which is on sale from 19 October. Results are also available at greenwineawards.com.
Wine enthusiasts were be able to sample the winning wines from the 2015 Nedbank Green Wine Awards in Cape Town and Johannesburg in November. More information on these tasting events can be found at greenwineawards.com/tasting-events.
Best Wines Made From Organically Grown Grapes
- Best Wine Overall – Org De Rac La Verne MCC 2012
- Best Red – Reyneke Cornerstone 2013
- Best White – Laibach Woolworths Ladybird Chardonnay 2014
- Bloggers’ Choice – Org De Rac La Verne MCC 2012
- Best Value – Stellar Organics Running Duck Sauvignon Blanc 2015
Best Integrated Production of Wine
- Best Wine Overall – Sijnn White 2013
- Best Red – Waverley Hills Grenache 2014
- Best White – Sijnn White 2013
- Bloggers’ Choice – The FMC 2013
- Best Value – Wildekrans Wine Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2015
Best Farming Practice Winners
- Overall Winner – Wildekrans
- Leader in Energy Conservation – Lourensford
- Leader in Water Conservation – Spier
- Leader in Eco-tourism – Villiera
- Leader in Community Development – Wildekrans
For tips on how you can save energy and costs every day,